The Armistice that brought to an end of the greatest war in history, was signed on November 11, 1918, on this exact spot in the forest of Compiègne.
The clearing did not exist at that time and the full-grown trees were so thick that aerial observation was impossible.
The two railway tracks that ran across here were part of a gunnery rail system branching off from Rethondes station a mile away and could be used for heavy gun platforms.
The train bringing the German plenipotentiaries from Tergnier, where they had boarded it after driving from La Capelle, arrived at day-break on November 8 fot the encounter.
The train standing on the other track was used by Marshal Foch as his mobile headquarters behind the front line.
The quiet seclusion of the forest seemed more suitable for such an occasion than his General Headquarters.
The clearing was laid out and inaugurated in 1922 and between 1927 and June 1940 the carriage was housed in its own museum building.
On the same site as in 1918 the carriage was used by the German and French delagates who met to sign the armistice of June 22, 1940 which marked the end of the campaign of France.
Restauration of the clearing, the monuments and the museum was undertaken at the end of the Second World War ( 1939 – 1945 ) to etablish a permanent commemoration of this significant historic site.
The Armistice Monument at la Pierre d’Haudroy, La Capelle.
It was here the German plenipotentiaries
presented themselves to the 1st Battalion,
171e Régiment d’‘Infanterie November 7 to 8:20 p.m.
Here, the tenacity of the Poilu triumphed.