Famous for its ancient benedictine abbey, Hautvillers is considered as the birthplace of champagne wine in France .( « the Cradle of Champagne » ).
Between the woods and the vineyards which overlook the Marne River, Hautvillers is located at 22 kilometers from Reims, the French Capital of Champagne.
In Hautvillers, you’ re in for a unique experience of the « King of Wine » Area.
In this area, classified « Champagne Premier Cru », the famous monk Dom Perignon started to build up modern oenology’s precepts .
Settled up the hills, the abbey Saint-Peter of Hautvillers, was etablished in the year 650, following the so called « Dove Vision »
Dom Pérignon, who’s now resting in the abbey church, was the precursor of this sparkling atmosphere in the « Cradle of Champagne ».
Dom Perignon ( 1638 – 1715 ) , responsible for the Hautvillers abbey, found the five major elements of the Champagne wine.
– the gathering of grape of differents origins to make the vintage.
– the quick and fragmented pressing of the grape.
– the use of bottles made of thick glass to preserve the wine and maintain the bubbles.
– the use of cork wrapped up in seal bearing the arms of the abbey.
– cellar dug in the chalk so as to assure the ageing of the wines at a constant temperatur.
Nowadays, while wandering through the narrow streets and alleys, you’ ll be introduced to the tradition of the wrought iron signs.
There are over 140 of these crafted
pieces of iron, hanging from many walls of many houses, all unique and all revealing a small story, something personnal about the inhabitants.
5 replies to “France : ” Visitez ” the birthplace of Champagne wine, Hautvillers – 60 photos.”
I love the signage. Thanks for sharing!
Do you have a favorite ?
A favorite ?
your pictures makes me want to be in La Douce France….