Formerly the tower was the bell-tower of a church, St Jacques de la Boucherie. (Saint James of the Butcher’s). It is of flamboyant gothic-style, built between 1509 and 1522.
The pilgrims that headed off on the Way of St James considered it as a highplace and for some of them as their departure point to Santiago de Compostela.
This monument of the Rive Droite of Paris, close to Central Chatelet Square offers a panoramic point of view over the Capital.
Let’s climb upstairs and admire the French Capital.
From that place,since the 10th century millions of “Pilgrims” of all nationalities have been departing to Santiago de Compostela grave.
The memorial plaque was sealed on June 1965 and was offered by the Association of the Friends of St James in Spain to the city of Paris.
Click to enlarge the pictures.