The spot in the forest of Compiegne, France,
where the armistice with Germany was signed, nov.11, 1918 .
On the left is the train that formed the headquarters of Marshal Foch
and on the right that occupied by the German envoys .
100 years ago
the armistice of the first world war
was signed here ….
Welcome to the Memorial of the Armistice Clearing
The Armistice that brought to an end of the greatest war in history,
was signed on November 11, 1918,
on this exact spot in the forest of Compiègne.
The clearing did not exist at that time
and the full-grown trees were so thick
that aerial observation was impossible.
The Armistice was signed “at the eleventh hour,
on the eleventh day of the eleventh month”
The two railway tracks that ran across here
were part of a gunnery rail system branching off from Rethondes station
a mile away and could be used for heavy gun platforms.
The train bringing the German plenipotentiaries from Tergnier,
where they had boarded it after driving from La Capelle,
arrived at day-break on November 8 fot the encounter.
The train standing on the other track was used by Marshal Foch
as his mobile headquarters behind the front line.
The quiet seclusion of the forest seemed more suitable
for such an occasion than his General Headquarters.
The clearing was laid out and inaugurated in 1922
and between 1927 and June 1940
the carriage was housed in its own museum building.
On the same site as in 1918 the carriage was used
by the German and French delagates
who met to sign the armistice of June 22, 1940
which marked the end of the campaign of France.
Restauration of the clearing, the monuments and the museum
at the end of the Second World War ( 1939 – 1945 )
to etablish a permanent commemoration of this significant historic site.
The Armistice Monument
at la Pierre d’Haudroy, La Flamengrie ( La Capelle, Aisne )
It was here the German plenipotentiaries
presented themselves to the 1st Battalion,
171e Régiment d’‘Infanterie November 7 to 8:20 p.m.
Here, the tenacity of the Poilu triumphed.
Our other posts :